The IADC WellSharp Supervisor Level Well Control course is essential training for those working in wellsite supervisory roles and for office-based personnel that are primarily involved in the operational decision-making process and/or well design. The course aims to build on the Driller Level course content (including kick detection and shut-in) and focus on more complex aspects of well control and well kill methodology.
- Perform static and dynamic pressure calculations across a range of wellbore and formation conditions
- Calculate volumes and capacities for a range of drilling and tripping operations and calculate the effects on bottom-hole pressure during these operations
- Explain the effects of gas migration on wellbore pressures
- Describe the causes of kicks for on-bottom and offbottom conditions
- Explain the procedures for shutting in a well for a range of operations
- Complete a kill sheet for vertical and deviated wells
- Specify the well control equipment requirements for surface and subsea operations
- Describe the principles underpinning the constant bottom hole pressure methods of well kill
- Using a simulator, determine the appropriate well kill method, instruct the driller and successfully kill the well
- Drilling, workover and completion plan
- Well control concepts
- Mud and pit management
- Pre-recorded data
- Abnormal pressure warning signs
- Kick prevention during drilling, casing and cementing operations
- Tophole drilling
- Kick detection and shut-in
- Well control methods
The IADC WellSharp “Well Control for Drilling Operations – for Supervisors” course has been designed
for toolpushers, drilling engineers, drilling supervisors, superintendents, drilling foremen, company men and others with a requirement to hold an accredited well control certificate at Supervisory level. The training is role-specific and is focused on well kill procedures.
Candidates may select either “Combined” (Surface & Subsea) or “Surface Only” BOP Stack certification. Successful completion of the course and a pass mark of 70% or above in the practical simulator assessment and the online written assessment will result in IADC WellSharp Supervisor Level certification which is valid for two years.